Am I Qualified?

Am I Qualified?

Have you ever had the idea of getting a teaching job abroad? If so, here are some of the first things to make sure you have before beginning the job search.

Here’s what you need:

  • Passport

  • Resume/CV

  • Bachelors Degree or Higher

  • Teaching Certification/License OR

  • TEFL/TESOL Certificate

  • Clean Criminal History


This is definitely mandatory. Check with the country of interest to find out which passport it requires candidates to possess. China requires candidates to possess passports from the following countries:

  • USA

  • UK

  • Ireland

  • Canada

  • Australia

  • New Zealand

  • South Africa

United States citizens: If you need to apply or renew a passport, click here.


A bachelor's or higher in any field. A specific field such as Education, or a specific subject may be required by some employers (depending on the position). Subject teachers (math, science, etc.) are normally paid a higher salary than ESL (English as a Second Language) teacher. They also are opened up to more selective opportunities.


Never taught before? Don't worry. Simply update your resume. If you have ever served as a volunteer or any non-official role for the position you're applying for, annotate it in your resume. It may be considered.

Teaching Certification/License

This is generally required to be obtained from one's home country. This is good for those wishing to become marketable to more countries and types of schools. This option is a bit more expensive but is worth the investment if one plans on making teaching a career. For more information, check out the links below:

Teach-Now Graduate School of Education

*Teacher Ready

*This organization has incentives for military, honorably discharged veterans and their family members.


TEFL/TESOL Certificate:

If you aren’t currently a certified/licensed teacher, one of the following certificates is the next best option. It’s much cheaper than a teaching license/certification. Most education institutions in Asia will accept it and require at least a 120 hour course certificate. Be sure to do your research to ensure the course is accredited to your potential employer’s standard. Scroll down for options to consider.

International TEFL and TESOL Training (ITTT)

Highlights of ITTT

  • Get a 5% discount on your course when you apply directly from this blog

  • Valid for a lifetime

  • Accepted Internationally

  • Hassle free authentication by your local government

  • Accredited, affiliated and members with reputable organizations

  • In-class & online options throughout America, Africa, Europe, Asia, and Latin America

  • Established over 20 years and trains 10,000 teachers per year

North American TEFL Academy

Highlights of North American TEFL Academy

  • Receive $100 discount when using the code: thelessonplan

  • Internationally accepted in countries such as PRChina, Taiwan, Vietnam, Spain, Japan, South Korea, and more.

  • Valid for a lifetime


Now that you have the basics, get ready to make a move. Take the leap and make the life changing decision to live abroad. Good luck!

#TeachingAbroad #TeachingInChina #InternationalTravel #TheLessonPlanOnline #WorkingAbroad #TEFL #TESOL

*Note* This site is for informational purposes only. It is a list of generally suggested requirements. Requirements may vary. No promises or guarantees of any kind are made.

*This blog post contains affiliate links. It’s no cost to the user. It means commissions are received when recommendations are made and referral requirements are met.

updated: 29 September 2019

Work From Home

Work From Home